Durban Shark Cage Diving
We operate from Umkomaas and safely take you through the surf (our skippers have over 25 years surf launching experience on the Kwazulu Natal Coast) on our customised 8m Superduck Semi Rigid boats powered by 2x 100 HP Yamaha Four Stroke motors, to an area south of the Aliwal Shoal, where the sharks are plentiful. It is about a 20 minute boat ride, and during this time we often encounter Dolphins, Turtles and Whales. Best thing is the boat ride is for free!
Once there we attract the sharks in strict compliance to our Department of Environmental Affairs Shark Diving permit and lower the floating cage into the water. Our engineer-designed and built cage can hold up 8 people at a time, although we usually restrict it to 6, as it gives you more space. You will get at least 30-45 min in the water, depending on number of people and sea conditions.
Please note that this is just a rough guideline, the times are confirmed a day before the dive relating to tides and weather. On busy days there will be two or three trips depending on the operator.
- Enjoy morning coffee or tea
- Be fitted for wetsuit, fins and mask
- Receive briefing on safety and shark interaction
- Load into our bakkie for transport and drive (2mins) to launch site.
- Receive briefing on launching procedure.
- Launch through the surf on an exciting surf launch.
- 30-60 minutes shark cage dive.
- Optional ‘swim with sharks’ outside of cage.
- Return to Blue Wilderness base.
- Enjoy showers and warm towels.
- Enjoy a scrumptious lunch
- View, with option to purchase, expedition video
- Depart for home